As beer drinkers, we have all had our moments of “one too many“. We tend to remember and talk about those mishaps. You know, like the time you drank a 12-pack and fell asleep in your neighbors front yard. Or the time when you saw a guy drink a case of beer by himself (I may or may not have done this myself). Those are great and all but do not even compare to Andre the Giant’s legendary feats of drunken awesomeness! I have taken the time to research every story I could possibly find to seal the title of “Baddest Ass Drunk Of All Time” for the Giant.
If you are unfamiliar with how popular Andre Rene Rousimoff was, I will just say that he was a global household name during his entire career. Being a global name before the internet and cable television is a badass feat by itself. He could not keep up with the demand for appearances. Along with being so popular came big bucks. I am talking $15-$25k for an appearance. That was big money back then. He knew how to party and was not afraid to spend his money on booze. Andre was also known for running some very large bar tabs for his friends and himself. Everyone loves a guy who pays the bill. I am such a giant fan, I drink all my beer from my Giant Fist Shaped Drink Kooler.
Anyways, here are some pretty awesome beer accomplishments by The Giant:
- Andre the Giant drank and estimated 7,000 calories of beer everyday. Considering his beer of choice was usually Molsen Canadian I did the math:7,000 calories per day ÷ 150 calories per can = 46.6 beers per day. How true this is…I have no idea. Regardless, that is a lot of beer!
- According to some wrestlers, he would drink a case of beer before each match as a warm up. Who needs a sports drink when you can have a beer or 24.
- When Hulk Hogan toured Japan with Andre, the giant would drink tall boys like water on the bus. He would crush the can in his hand (yes one hand), and throw it at Hogan. Whenever the bus stopped, Hogan had to buy Andre as many cases of beer as he could carry back onto the bus. Yes, Hogan was his beer wench.
- In 1977, he drank an estimated 75 beers at a bar with “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes and refused to take a taxi back to his hotel. He hated sitting in them because of his size. The decision was made to find another way back. He located a horse carriage, lifted the man off of it, and well…stole it. The Giant and Rhodes took a drunken ride through Manhattan as onlookers watched in shock. Not a single person was willing to challenge the two and when the cops found them, they were drinking brandy at the hotel bar as if nothing happened.
- He once drank 119 bottles of beer in six hours…and actually passed out in a hotel hallway. He was so large nobody could budge him. Therefore, his friends hid him with a piano cover. Not a single person touched him while he slept that night. Who would be that stupid?
- He once had a $40,000 hotel bar bill while filming The Princess Bride.
- He once at 12 steaks, 15 lobsters, and emptied a restaurant’s entire bar. He was known to make restaurant stay open for hours after they closed so he could satisfy his appetite for food and booze. According to his friends, Andre would usually do this to impress people and the staff had no problem watching his impressive eating.
- He hated to fly and would often wipe the entire plane’s bar stash out before take off.
- According Mike Graham, he witnessed The Giant drink 156 beers in a row. This was backed up by Dusty Rhodes and Michael Hayes.
- According to journalist Bill Apter, he sat and watched Andre and Harley Race pound beers over the period of a day while they were in New Orleans. The Giant drank 125 beers or more during their day together.
- What is the most impressive story in my opinion? Apparently, one evening Andre was eating at a restaurant and hadn’t had a drink in a while. He was very cranky that evening and four guys made the mistake of taunting him. After ignoring their antics for a short period of time, Andre had his fill. He followed them out to their car and flipped the entire car over in a rage. Hogan was right, a drunk Giant was a happier giant.